Django Weekly 17 - Local Django on Kubernetes, WebSockets, project template and more
From DjangoWeekly Blog

by Ankur Gupta

Worthy Read

Bill Prin Engineer with Google Cloud Platform talks about Minikube. Minikube makes it really easy to run a Kubernetes cluster locally. Our Django project used a few Cloud features such as Load Balancers and Volumes (via GCE Persistent Disk) that you might wonder how it gets translated to Minikube. So this post will go over the following topics.
google cloud

Join our community of 15k+ developers & programmers to share and bond over fun rants & stories about code, tech, and life as a programmer (on iOS, Android & web)

In this post, I will write a short example of how to integrate AWS ElasticTranscoder with Django application. ElasticTranscoder allows you to transcode files from your S3 bucket to various formats.

Enabling nested params with file uploads in django rest framework.
DSF is basically a service that handles your WebSockets. You put in some of Fanout's JavaScript into your site that handles a persistent WebSocket connection between your site and And to push messages to your user you basically send them to from the server and they "forward" it to the WebSocket.

Steelkiwi talk about their out of the box Django project setup. Curator's note - It's a well written article and I picked few things to try in my own Django setup.

97% of developers will fail you. We are the other 3%. Let Toptal match you with a great developer. Get started now.

I’m doing a survey for build tools in python. Now, before any of you say “make”, be warned that I’ve been doing C and C++ programming for decades and even those project don’t even use make anymore if they can help it. There are way better tools than make, especially in python!. Curator's Note - Check Pybuilder with the django plugin.
build tools

The fine folks at Two Scoops Press are offering discount on Two scoops of django book for some cosmetic alignment and misprint issue. If anyone was looking to buy the book have a look.
two scoops of django


django-postcode-lookup - 4 Stars, 0 Fork
This Django app providers a pluggable postcode django restframework endpoint. It currently only works for postcodes in The Netherlands.

elasticsearch2-haystack - 4 Stars, 0 Fork
An Elasticsearch2 backend for Django-Haystack

Ankur has coded and deployed numerous Python software over the last 10 years, at three venture funded startup and a fortune 10 company. He currently heads Numerate Labs. Djangoweekly is his side project with Django being his go to web framework.

Blog Categories